Monday, August 01, 2005

Song Interpretations, Part 2; Dark Side of the ... uh... Political Commentary?

Same disclaimer: All I looked up on the internet was the lyrics to copy over, so if this is BS or someone else's already said it, I take the Han Solo. ("It's not my fault.")

Us and Them
And after all we're only ordinary men
What does this have to do with us normal people? Why are we taking sides against each other? More specifically, Vietnam? Why are we here?

Me, and you
God only knows it's not what we would choose to do
Again, we wouldn't be doing this if we had any say. We aren't the ones who wanted to go to war, figuratively or literally.

Forward he cried from the rear
and the front rank died
And the General sat, as the lines on the map
moved from side to side
The ones who choose to make war aren't the ones who die in it. They sit back and basically play Risk with real armies.

Black and Blue
And who knows which is which and who is who
So wait, what's the difference between us and those people again? Wait, they're kinda brown, I'm thinking about not caring! But does it really even matter anymore? We just get told 'those guys' and we have to shoot or be shot, since their generals are doing the same thing.

Up and Down
And in the end it's only round and round and round
No matter what they try to tell us about how things are going, nothing really changes.

Haven't you heard it's a battle of words
the poster bearer cried
Propaganda

Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside
Recruiting

Down and Out
It can't be helped but there's a lot of it about
Poverty supplies troops, but also motivated the people we're fighting.

With, without
And who'll deny that's what the fightings all about
Yup, Marxist - the real source of conflict is class struggle. But more to the point, it's a matter of those who have nothing being used as cattle by those who have everything, and that happens on both sides of the Communist/Capitalist divide. So, again, why are we fighting these guys instead of helping them?

Get out of the way, it's a busy day
And I've got things on my mind
As my friend Marie once put it, "Were you thinking? Zap zap!" Don't question me, you're wasting my time, just go shut up and kill.

For want of the price of tea and a slice
The old man died
This all comes down to letting people starve over ideals they don't necessarily share in. Proles don't really care much about the Party as an idea, usually; they just follow the guys who promise to feed them and not kick them as much as the last guys.

I'm not taking this into any sort of modern commentary at this point - I may come back after I've completed my tour through Pink Floyd Land (or at least Dark Side of the Moon Land) and try to sum it up, but for now, I'll leave it at that.
Watch for further parts to the Floyd later, and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment